Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DC Electrical System

My original DC system and battery management design has been modified. (Its hard to keep up with all the technological advances but I'm changing my mind as fast as I can (( by the way, I don't put a funny face icon behind my amusing remarks.  I figure that if I have to send a signal alerting you to the arrival of humor it probably wasn't that funny anyway)) :-).   Under sail or at anchor a Mastervolt 2000/100 Combi inverter charger will provide power to a few AC appliances including a small microwave oven, a 17 in computer monitor,  a cell phone charger and the Climma air conditioner.  Hey! You can't air condition a boat away from shore power! Yes we can! (That's a quote from someone.).  Power a Climma 7 from a DC Source

The battery bank will also be Mastervolt.  Four 115 amp hour Slim Line AGM batteries will store 460 amp hours of DC power. Each battery is 22 inches long, 4.3 inches wide and 9 inches tall. One pair will be positioned port under the forward end of the quarterberth and the other pair will be positioned to starboard in the same location under the foot of the pilot berth. A separate Mastervolt type 27 will be dedicated to engine start duty and station itself under the bottom step of the companionway ladder.  Battery amp hours will be replenished by the two 70 amp alternators running in parallel and controlled by a single Adverc battery management system with split charging of the two battery banks, engine and house, via 95 amp blocking diodes...... Twin Alternators.  Dockside the Mastervolt combi 100 amp charger will assume regulated charging duties. The Adverc's DCM MKIII will monitor battery status.  Adverc DCM Monitor.

The breaker panel may be slightly larger than it's pre-Ike predessor but its location under the companionway ladder will not change. The electronics breaker will tie to an electronics fuse box in the navigation area.  The Muir anchor windlass will take power from the house bank not a separate battery. The engine start panel will be down below next to the breaker panel not in the sometimes very wet cockpit.

I am sure I am missing some vital info in this article and equally sure that I will be revisiting this topic long before I throw my first Lean Cuisine in the microwave.

No comments: