Friday, September 18, 2009

Running Rigging

The jib halyard will be rigged on a 2 to 1 purchase in order to get some tension on free flying head sails.  All of the head sails will be cut with a Dux line sewn in the luff.  All the head sails, yankee, jibtop and drifter, will be sent out to the end of the (round) bowsprit on a traveller by Classic Marine UK  Classic Marine UK with clews attached to a Colligo Marine luff line furler.

I can't decide whether to put the staysail on a standard furler or just leave it hank on. I am inclined to put it on a furler, if it gets so rough that I need to douse a staysail, best I stay put in the cockpit.  On the other hand, if the staysail is hanked on the stay I could buy a sail with a reef point so I could "get small" if I had to and still maintain some shape and pointing ability. If the staysail is hanked on do you then need to rig up a downhaul?

All the Halyards will be external and terminate at the base of the mast not led aft to the cockpit.  With the departure of the propane boxes there will be some additional working space around the mast for my size 13s.  Only sheets will terminate in the cockpit. She has no cockpit or coaming lockers (other than the lazerette) so the less cockpit clutter the better.

No comments: