Saturday, May 28, 2011

Into the Light of Day

I didn't really get started until December of 08.  Hurricane Ike sank her in early September but she wasn't recovered until the end of the month. I spent two more months wringing my hands over the sell or scrap decision and another month dickering with the insurance underwriters and organizing a move from the salvage/auction yard.

I figured two years to rebuild her. We used to build offshore drilling rigs in 16 months and that was from lay the keel to launch. It seemed a reasonable estimate.  I missed that mark by a country mile and I'm still months from completion, but that's ok.  I'll finish it when I finish it and that will happen right where she sits. I do not want to launch before all systems are in and function tested. In the mean time I keep my head in the game by  dividing the project into segments defined by certain watershed events like:

Fishing her out of the harbor.




Cleaning her out.


New engine installed



New bulkheads tabbed in.



Bowsprit on




And last week pulling her out of the shed into the light of day.





Coming out, boss.



Adam supervising the move

No comments: