Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lightning

A wood masted vessel requires a different approach to lightning protection. If all the rigging is synthetic a heavy gauge cooper wire installed from masthead to deck, like the Strike Shield system, could provide a ground path that the aluminum mast would typically offer but I really don't want anymore weight in the mast. I had also thought about installing long chain plates like the Pardeyes in order to extend the stainless steel shroud ground path all the way to the water line. However, I don't want to buy another set of chainplates; I already have the standard length ones. So, if at the the dock I'll hope that lightning finds a taller mast than mine and if offshore and lightning moves into the neighborhood I'll clamp a battery cable to each shrould and throw the other end over the side. That probably won't save the electronics but it might prevent the mast from burning down.

No comments: